A couple of weeks ago I bought a set of white wood shutters. I had every intension of making an American Flag out of one to put on my front porch, but then, well...life happened and I didn't get it done. Today I decided I needed to get on that, and so I took one of them and started painting.
Now, here's what they don't tell you. Creating an American Flag on a shutter isn't the easiest thing to do. I thought I had everything counted out, and divided properly to make 50 stars on my flag, and to make my stripes look good, and then when I began putting it all together I realized nothing's ever as easy as it seems.
First of all, it took 5 coats of the navy blue paint I was using to cover properly. I had to be patient and use my heat gun on the blue. (I used Admiral Blue by Apple Barrel) Also, it takes a lot of time to get into all the crevis' and the edges of the shutters, so be prepared to paint, and repaint, and then paint again. It was time-consuming!
I actually flipped my shutter over a couple of times to see how it was coming from different angles. I think doing this allowed me to see my mistakes and fix them quickly.
Once the blue paint was dry and looking good I started on my red stripes. I actually didn't add more white paint to the shutter for my white lines, I actually just left what was there since it was weathered and it looked good.
After I had everything dry (again) I started in on the stars I had planned to paint to make this look like a legit American flag. I tried using a stencil I had, which didn't work well at all. I then tried to freehand them, but again, not practical and it didn't look good. I was a little frustrated, to say the least.
I ended up covering the stars with some more of the blue paint and I loved how that looked. I then freehanded a large white star over them at the top, and then I grabbed some letters I had already and used a dry-brush technique to give them a pop of color.
It began to take form once I had the large star on it, but it needed a little something else. It needed More!!! So, I gave it more in the form of the adorable letters I dry brushed and added to it.
After painting the letters and letting them dry I used some e6000 and some hot glue to secure the letters to the shutter, then I let it all dry. This was super simple in terms of what materials were required, but super difficult on the level of time consumption. It took a lot of time to paint all the many layers. Add in my "mess-ups" and repainting some things, plus going over the small stars again with the blue, this was very time-consuming.
Now that it's complete I'm going to display it on my front porch for the summer! I love how it turned out. Let me reassure you that you CAN make this. When you try it though, just expect that it will take some patience.
I hope y'all enjoy making one, and please post pictures in the Creative Group so we can see it!
Until tomorrow, be blessed.
Thanks for reading and sharing!
Hi I'm Jen, and I'm so glad you're here. I have a passion for Jesus, my family, and connecting with a more simple way of life. I love to write, and enjoy many creative avenues. I look forward to sharing so much with y'all so come back often!
Hey Y'all! I wanted to let you know that my blog contains affiliate links. When you click on them you won't pay a penny more for your purchase, but I will earn a small commision, which helps maintain this blog. Thanks!